The mommy makeover is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries today. It addresses many of the common problems that women have who have experienced pregnancy and breastfeeding.
If you are experiencing sagging skin, drooping breasts, and fat you cannot lose after pregnancy. This could be the procedure for you.
The term ‘mommy makeover’ is a catch-all phrase that refers to several body contouring procedures performed in one surgery to improve the physical issues that may linger for years after pregnancy.
Some of the issues that a mommy makeover can correct include:
- Sagging skin and restore lost volume to the breasts
- Extra, sagging skin from the belly
- Stretched or separated abdominal muscles
- Poor-fitting clothing
- Stretched or large nipples and areolas
One of the reasons the mommy makeover is in demand is that it can consist of many procedures, depending on the woman. However, most mommy makeovers focus on the breasts and abdomen, with other procedures added as desired.
Dr. Smita R. Ramanadham is a double board-certified plastic surgeon who can enhance your body contours after pregnancy to give you the shape and self-confidence you want. She specializes in mommy makeovers and related procedures in the New Jersey.
Mommy Makeover Procedure
The abdomen and breasts are the primary areas that change during pregnancy and motherhood, so a mommy makeover usually includes breast augmentation, a tummy tuck, and possibly a breast lift.
The breasts get larger during pregnancy and breastfeeding and may increase by more than a full cup size. But when they return to their standard size, there can be lost breast volume and sagging.
Also, during pregnancy, the abdominal muscles, tissues, and skin stretch to accommodate the baby. But these tissues don’t always bounce back after pregnancy.
Some of the procedures that women may choose during a mommy makeover include:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Tummy tuck
- Breast reduction
- Cellulite reduction
- Feminine rejuvenation (labiaplasty)
- Botox and dermal fillers for the face
- Brazilian butt lift
During the tummy tuck, Dr. Smita will cut away extra skin and fat above and below the navel, as needed, as well as tighten the underlying muscles with sutures.
Before and After Images
Most mommy makeovers include a tummy tuck, liposuction, and breast lift or augmentation. Some benefits include:
- Having several surgeries at once: Having more than one procedure reduces the hassles of billing, recovering, and scheduling. If you have several procedures separately, your recovery would be months instead of weeks.
- Enjoy dramatic effects: Imagine if you have a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and liposuction on the same day! Once you recover, the difference in your body will be dramatic.
- Get your pre-pregnancy body back: Pregnancy is beautiful, but it can affect your appearance. Many women discover it’s challenging to get their old bodies back with only diet and exercise. However, if you have sagging breasts, loose belly skin, and extra fat, a mommy makeover can make a dramatic difference!
- Find clothes: After you have a mommy makeover, you should find clothes that fit better. Your skin will be tighter, breasts higher, and your midsection lean and taut. You may even need to begin shopping for smaller sizes.
- Enhance breasts: Most women’s breasts are permanently affected by pregnancy and breastfeeding. But a breast augmentation and lift can make your breasts look young again.
- Boost self-confidence: Pregnancy and breastfeeding strain and stretch the body, but a mommy makeover can make you look like your old self.
- Eliminate stretch marks: The abdominal skin stretches to accommodate your baby, but many of them can be eliminated with a tummy tuck. Also, stretch marks may be removed during breast procedures.
Ideal Candidates For A Mommy Makeover
The mommy makeover is a highly customized and individualized procedure. You should have this procedure because you want it and not because someone else does.
Dr. Smita will discuss the benefits and risks of the procedure during your consultation and conduct a physical examination. Then, she may recommend you for surgery if you meet these criteria:
- You are in good overall health and don’t have a significant health issue, such as heart disease, diabetes, or cancer.
- You are close to your ideal body weight; if you still need to lose a lot of weight, Dr. Smita will recommend a diet and exercise program first.
- You have a positive body image and realistic expectations for the procedure.
- You don’t plan to have more children; if you have children after a tummy tuck and breast procedures, you’ll likely need revision surgery.
You may want to consider a mommy makeover in these situations:
- You should be recovered from your last childbirth for at least six months and are close to your ideal body weight.
- If you want breast surgery, you should wait at least three to six months after breastfeeding to let the breasts return to their customary size and shape.
- You may not want to have certain injectables, such as Botox, while you’re breastfeeding.
To prepare for your mommy makeover, Dr. Smita may ask you to:
- Get a medical evaluation and laboratory testing
- Take certain medications or stop taking them
- Not smoke for weeks before and after surgery
- Not take aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements that cause bleeding problems
Your procedure will be done in a hospital or ambulatory care center and will include general anesthesia. You may also need follow-up procedures with local anesthesia, as needed. However, these decisions are based on the procedures you have and your medical needs.
As noted above, you can have many procedures in your mommy makeover. But the most common are a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, breast lift, and liposuction.
For any of these procedures, Dr. Smita will administer general anesthesia and perform the surgeries. Afterward, she’ll put you in the recovery room, where you will be monitored for one or two hours.
Then, a friend or relative will drive you home so you can begin your recovery.
Mommy Makeover Risks And Complications
The decision to have a mommy makeover is a complex and personal one. First, you need to decide if the procedures in your mommy makeover will help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
Dr. Smita will discuss the risks associated with the many possible procedures in a mommy makeover. Some of the potential risks and complications are:
- Poor incision healing
- Excessive bleeding
- Lost sensation in abdomen or nipples
- Inability to breastfeed
- Excessive scarring
- Fat necrosis
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac complications
- Breast or abdominal asymmetry
- Chronic pain
- General anesthesia risks
Please remember that most mommy makeovers go well, and patients have few severe complications. However, you must select a board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure you have the best and safest experience possible.
Mommy Makeover Recovery
A mommy makeover involves several invasive procedures, and you will need several weeks to recover. Keep these points in mind:
- How long your recovery depends on the procedures, but you can expect to be sore, swollen, and bruised for at least two weeks.
- You’ll need help around the home, especially if you have small children. You’ll be sore and tired for at least several days and unable to do most of your everyday chores. That’s why you should ask for someone to stay with you to help for the early recovery period.
- If Dr. Smita prescribes prescription pain medication, you should not drive. Instead, wait to drive until you are only taking over-the-counter medicines for pain.
- You may have swelling for six months to a year, so you cannot fully judge your mommy makeover results right away.
- Do not lift anything over 10 pounds for at least six weeks if you have a tummy tuck.
- You should not smoke for several weeks before and after a mommy makeover because it decreases circulation and impedes wound healing.
- You won’t be able to do vigorous workouts for several weeks, but be sure to go for a walk every day to improve circulation.
- After six to eight weeks, you should get back to regular workouts to maintain your new contours.
The recovery after a mommy makeover takes time, but most patients say it’s worth it.
Mommy Makeover Cost New Jersey
More than any other plastic surgery, mommy makeovers are the most difficult to quote upfront. This is chiefly because one woman’s mommy makeover is going to look entirely different from another woman’s mommy makeover.
Inherent in the procedure is the fact that there are a range of surgeries a woman may choose from for her mommy makeover. Not all women, for example, want a breast lift. Not all women need liposuction in the same areas. Some women may want labiaplasty while others aren’t interested in this procedure.
Still, while we can’t offer a specific quote for your New Jersey mommy makeover cost, we can outline the specific expenses you should expect to see on your estimate. Likewise, we can say with confidence that the more procedures you want under the umbrella of your mommy makeover, the more expensive your surgery will be.
Factors That Can Influence Your New Jersey Mommy Makeover Cost
The mommy makeover cost New Jersey patients can expect to pay will be based on the following individual expenses:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anesthesia fee
- Surgical facility or hospital fee
- Charges for medical tests (mammograms, lab tests, etc.)
The cost of post-surgery garments, medications, wound care supplies, etc.
Mommy Makeover FAQ
Some of the most frequent questions about mommy makeovers include:
What Is Included In A Mommy Makeover?
You can choose many procedures, but the most popular are breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, and tummy tuck. Talk to your surgeon about which procedures may be ideal for your body and goals.
Why Do People Have A Mommy Makeover?
This procedure aims to give you a younger, more lifted, and shapely body after pregnancy or weight loss. In addition, many women like the idea of removing extra skin and fat and boosting breast volume after pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Most who have a mommy makeover are pleased with the results and report a boost of self-confidence.
What Are The Chances Of Dying From A Tummy Tuck?
The chances of death from a tummy tuck are very low – about .25% per 100,000 procedures. But it’s critical to select a board-certified surgeon such as Dr. Smita to ensure you have a safe and effective procedure.
Does A Mommy Makeover Include Liposuction?
Many patients choose liposuction in combination with a tummy tuck. But the procedures you choose are highly individualized and up to you, and Dr. Smita will provide her recommendation, as well.
Do You Regret Having A Mommy Makeover?
Having worries about surgery is understandable, and it’s important to know ahead of time that you will have a lengthy recovery.
But most patients are pleased with their results once they get through the initial recovery phase. After several months, you’ll see the benefits in the mirror.
How Long Does It Take To Feel Better After A Mommy Makeover?
After the mommy makeover, you will be tired, sore, and swollen for at least two or three weeks. After two or three months, you can usually go back to strenuous workouts and other physical activities.
It can take up to a year before you see the final results.
How Painful Is A Mommy Makeover?
You will have moderate pain and discomfort in the first week, and it may take 10 days before you move around and driving again. It takes many patients about a month before they can return to all their regular activities.
How Long Does A Mommy Makeover Last?
The procedure itself can last up to six hours. As far as how long the results last, you can enjoy your mommy makeover benefits for 10 years or more. But it’s vital to maintain a healthy weight, diet, and exercise level.
Also, you will undo many of your results if you get pregnant, so it’s best to wait until you are finished building your family.
How Many Pounds Can I Lose With A Mommy Makeover?
This depends on the procedures you have. But if you have a tummy tuck and liposuction, you could lose between five and 10 pounds.
Remember, no aspect of a mommy makeover is intended for weight loss; they are body contouring procedures designed for people near their ideal weight.
Can I Have A Brazilian Butt Lift In My Mommy Makeover?
You can have almost any cosmetic procedure during a mommy makeover, and some patients choose a BBL.
You should choose a plastic surgeon who is highly skilled and experienced with a BBL for the best results.
Should I Lose Weight Before A Mommy Makeover?
This procedure is usually done after pregnancy, but you should have lost most of your ‘baby weight’ before you have a mommy makeover.
Ideally, you should aim to be within 10 to 15 pounds of your goal weight.
Is A Mommy Makeover Worth It?
According to RealSelf.com, 97% of patients surveyed said the procedure was worth having. Also, mommy makeovers are usually among the most popular cosmetic procedures in the US.
If you are still frustrated with your current figure while trying your hardest to shed those last few pounds, we welcome you to contact our facility in New Jersey to hear more about the body contouring options we offer. Sagging breasts, flabby areas, and other surface irregularities can be corrected with this outstanding surgery.
During your consultation, experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Ramanadham will discuss your worries and concerns and create a custom treatment plan to enhance each area. With advanced methods and surgical skill, it is achievable to regain the look you desire.