Dermaplaning gently removes surface layers of skin, minimizing imperfections like acne scars. This procedure is also chosen by some to eliminate unwanted facial hair.
At our office, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Smita Ramanadham offers Dermaplaning. Book your consult today!
What is Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a painless, safe form of manual exfoliation. A medical-grade, sterile blade is used along the skin at an angle to gently remove any dead skin cells from the stratum corneum, which is the outer layer of the epidermis.
Dermaplaning also temporarily removes the fine vellus hair of the face, leaving a very smooth surface. This leaves your skin smooth and brighter, improving the overall appearance and texture of the skin.
Smita R. Ramanadham, M.D.– Female Plastic Surgeon
As a native of New Jersey, Dr. Smita Ramanadham possesses a deep understanding of the unique goals of women and men in the New Jersey Area. After a successful academic career at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston, MA, she is thrilled to be back in her home state.
Dr. Ramanadham completed her training in plastic and reconstructive surgery at the prestigious University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas, TX, which holds the top ranking for its plastic surgery program according to Doximity. Throughout her training, she had the opportunity to work closely with world-renowned experts.
She actively contributes as a valued member of The Aesthetic Society, a highly esteemed society that represents the most qualified group of aesthetic plastic surgeons. Additionally, she is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and values the chance to make a broader impact in the field of plastic surgery. Within the ASPS, she serves on multiple national committees, including Women Plastic Surgeons, Young Plastic Surgeons Steering Committee, Curriculum Committee, Social Media Subcommittee, Wellness Task Force, and Coding and Payment Policy Committee.
What to Expect During a Dermaplaning Treatment?
First, a thorough skin analysis will be performed prior to your dermaplaning treatment by our licensed Esthetician. Once the analysis is complete and there are no contraindications to treatment, cleansing of the skin will be performed followed by dermaplaning.
Any additional extractions, chemical peels, or facials will be completed to follow. The Licensed Esthetician will review post care instructions and advice on any skincare products and regimen you should continue to use or desire to enhance your desired outcome.
Who is a Candidate for Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a great treatment option for those without any severe skin issues. This is ideal for those looking to improve the texture and tone of their skin, help improve dryness, and brighten the overall complexion.
Benefits of Dermaplaning
A dermaplaning treatment allows the skin to become smoother, brighter, and rejuvenated after just one treatment. Additional benefits include:
- Brighter and more youthful skin tone and complexion
- Removal dead skin cells
- Removal of vellus hair (peach fuzz)
- Smoother skin
- Reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- Evening of skin tone
Contraindications of Dermaplaning
Please notify the office or the licensed Esthetician of any of the listed conditions before receiving a dermaplaning treatment. Contraindications of dermaplaning include:
- Current inflamed acne lesions
- Active acne
- Active cold sores
- Skin cancer
- Any open lesion
- Use of Accutane currently or in the last six months
- Use of any prescription Retinol, Retin-A, Tretinoin, etc.
How Will Hair Grow Back After Dermaplaning?
Patients frequently believe that their facial hair will regrow thicker and darker after dermaplaning but, this is not true. Your facial (vellus) hair should grow back looking like it did before any dermaplaning treatment.
Vellus hair is the term we use to describe the hair that grows on our face. It is also commonly known as peach fuzz. Vellus hair helps control and regulate our body temperature. It is okay to remove this hair. Advantages of removing this hair from the face include:
- Even makeup application
- Enhancement of skincare product absorption
- Increase skin hydration and moisture
Dermaplaning Pre and Post Instructions
- Please discontinue any products containing active ingredients 7 days prior to treatment, such as: Retinol (Retin-A, Tretinoin, Vitamin A), Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, AHAs (Alpha-hydroxy acids), LHAs (Lipo hydroxy acids) and Benzoyl Peroxide. Avoid hydroquinone for 3 days before your treatment. If you have any questions about your current skin care products, please call our office 732-307-7221.
- Avoid sun exposure (including tanning beds) for at least 14 days prior to treatment. Avoid sunless tanning creams or sprays on the treated area for 14 days prior.
- Do not wax or use depilatory creams on the treatment areas for 14 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Fish Oils, Vitamin E, and other blood thinners 5-7 days before your treatment. If you are on a prescribed blood thinner, please contact our office at 732-307-7221
- Exercise or vigorous physical activity should be avoided until all redness has subsided.
- Direct sunlight exposure is to be completely avoided immediately following the treatment (including any strong UV light exposure or tanning beds). Although SPF 30+ should already be a part of your daily skin care, after dermaplaning, SPF 30+ must be applied daily to the treated area for a minimum of two weeks. Twice daily cleanse the treated area with a gentle antioxidant cleanser, followed by a hydrating serum and moisturizing cream followed with SPF 30+ sunscreen. Please make sure all skin care products are fragrance-free to avoid any irritants to the skin.
- If you have additional questions or concerns regarding your treatment or suggested home regimen, you can always consult our licensed esthetician immediately.
What to Expect After a Dermaplaning Treatment?
After a dermaplaning treatment you can expect skin to be mildly red and sensitive. The redness should subside by 48 hours.
Avoid scratching and itching, as scarring and pigmentation complications can occur.
- Use soft cloth and soft towels to avoid any scrubbing.
- Make-up can typically be worn 24 hours after the procedure.
- Wash your face with cool water.
How Long Does a Dermaplaning Treatment Take?
A dermaplaning treatment takes 45 minutes. If you would like to add any additional service such as a Hydrafacial treatment it would be an additional 20 minutes.
How often Should I Receive a Dermaplaning Treatment?
You can enjoy a dermaplaning treatment every four to six weeks. We recommend allowing your skin to recover and resurface before getting another dermaplaning treatment to ensure the best results.
Dermaplaning and Hydrafacial
Dermaplaning can be performed in combination with a Hydrafacial service. These two treatments are an great duo for cleansing, deeply exfoliating, and hydrating your skin.
Dermaplaning is a physical form of exfoliation that will allow all the Hydrafacial serums and antioxidants to penetrate deeper into your skin leaving you looking super glowy and refreshed. It’s the best of both worlds!
Great Skin Starts Here
New to professional facials? Let Dr. Ramanadham guide you to the ideal treatment for your skin, leaving it refreshed, radiant, and irresistibly smooth.
Contact our office in New Jersey to schedule your skin assessment today.