Your choice of plastic surgeon is an important one. After all, you’ll live with the results of your facelift, tummy tuck, or liposuction procedure for years. You must do your homework and choose a skilled, experienced surgeon you can trust.
Plastic surgery is not just a highly-skilled science; it’s a delicate form of art that requires an eye for detail and a profound grasp of every patient’s needs and anatomy.
However, no matter how skilled or artistic your plastic surgeon is, many years of experience in a procedure and with many types of patients builds a strong base of knowledge that no book can offer.
Below is more information about the importance of experience in a surgeon and how to choose one that’s right for you.
Why Does Experience Matter?
There are risks with plastic surgery, which is why it’s so vital to choose a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon.
Many doctors and non-doctors may refer to themselves as ‘cosmetic surgeons’ or ‘plastic surgeons’ but lack the qualifications and experience necessary to perform these procedures safely.
It’s the patient’s responsibility to check that the plastic surgeon is qualified – such as board certified with extensive experience and has at least five years of surgical training and experience in your procedure.
When you verify that your surgeon has the expertise you need, you can have confidence that your surgery will be safe and provide the best results.
One of the most important ways to find a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon is to look for board certification. When you are talking to plastic surgeons, one of the first questions should be whether they are board-certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or ASPS.
Board-certified plastic surgeons have gone through a rigorous training, clinical and testing process that ensures he or she has years of skill and experience in various procedures.
Many people think plastic surgeons and cosmetic surgeons are interchangeable for instance. But a board-certified cosmetic surgeon has different training and focus than a board-certified plastic surgeon. This is where you – as a consumer need to know what to look for.
Experience In Procedures You Want
As you can imagine, operating on a patient’s nose is different from operating on a breast. That’s why many plastic surgeons have subspecialties in their field.
Some of the questions you may ask when looking for a plastic surgeon for a particular procedure are:
- What kind of training did you get in the procedure that I want?
- How many years have you been doing this procedure?
- How many times have you done this procedure in the last five years?
- Do you have before and after photos of various types of patients who have had this procedure?
By choosing a surgeon experienced in your procedure, you can be confident that you are in the best hands.
Remember, the consequences of choosing an inexperienced surgeon can be dire; many people who make the wrong choice may end up needing revision surgery and dealing with other complications.
If you have an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon, they should have hospital privileges. This is critical because if you have a complication, you may need to go to the hospital, where they can continue to treat you.
Remember, a hospital only grants privileges to practice medicine in the field that you have board certification.
The Right Aesthetic Sense
Finding the best plastic surgeon for you will require a bit of research on your part. Every surgeon has their own style and ideal of what an ideal feature may look like.
How do you discover what a surgeon’s aesthetic sense is?
- Look at their before and after photos. Look at the results of several plastic surgeons and carefully compare them. Which results appeal to you the most?
- Pay attention to patients who have a similar face or body structure as you. You can make this easier by taking a selfie to consult as you’re comparing photos. For instance, if you want a facelift, look for someone around your age with a similar facial structure, and have some of the same issues (such as bags under the eyes).
- Check for consistency in the surgeon’s results. Look at many of their before and after photos and decide how you want to look after your procedure.
How The Surgeon Makes You Feel
Any surgery is essential and has risks, so it’s essential to trust and feel comfortable with your surgeon. You should choose a surgeon that you trust with your safety and results.
Some questions to ask:
- Do I enjoy talking to this surgeon?
- Do I trust him or her to recommend what is a safe and proper procedure for me?
- Would I feel comfortable asking him or her any question I could have during the process?
- Do I feel okay sharing my medical history and personal habits with this plastic surgeon?
Request A Plastic Surgery Consultation
Considering a plastic surgery procedure in New Jersey? Dr. Smita. R. Ramanadham can help you obtain the results you want. Dr. Ramanadham will go over your options, goals, and more to determine if you’re a good candidate for a variety of plastic surgery procedures.
Choosing A Cosmetic Surgeon. (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/patient-resources/choosing-a-cosmetic-surgeon/
Is Your Plastic Surgeon Board Certified? (n.d.). Accessed at https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/is-your-plastic-surgeon-board-certified